PLAN SAFE | WORK SAFE | BE SAFE
This mantra cannot simply be about chasing industry metrics to benefit narrowly tailored market objectives. Rather, it is a fundamental tenet organically aligned with our firm’s core values and the promises we made within our strategic plan to become the premier architecture, engineering and geospatial company in our industry, and one of the best companies in the country.
We are concerned about safety, not because the industry measures our performance, but because we value and support our people and the responsibilities they have for others. Our safety strategy is deliberately focused to help our employees, clients and world progress through forward-thinking. We do not accept stale processes that we are prepared to outpace, and we incorporate our progressive mindset into delivering inventive and intelligent safety solutions.
We set the expectation—we are not guided by it. Such thinking will promote us as industry leaders, and we will attract and retain high-performing employees that are committed to a shared and balanced vision. We invest in safety because it helps define and sustain our culture, which, in turn, forms the bedrock of our growth. We are safe because it is who we are, not simply what we do. Our multifaceted safety approach includes policy, internal communication, training, motor vehicle records checks, drug testing, corporate insurance company presentations, safety committee research and regular review of safety issues.
Excellent Safety Ratings
Low safety metrics like our Ohio Experience Modification Rate (below 1) and our 2017 National Council on Compensation Insurance ratings (1.08) demonstrate our commitment to preventing injury and indicate a low chance of business risk.
Woolpert’s safety team is headed by Jeb Bolton, risk and safety manager. In this role, Jeb leads initiatives that bolster Woolpert’s safety culture and company-wide safety policies.
Safety Coordinator Jeff Whitaker supports these initiatives with his extensive knowledge and training background. Jeff has amassed over 26 years of experience managing client safety programs, facilitating employee training and instructing safety professionals about OSHA safety standards. Jeff uses his extensive OSHA knowledge to support Woolpert’s projects, employees and ever-growing safety culture.
Corporate Safety Program Overview
- Safety meeting topics and “Toolbox Talks” provided to project supervisors
- Safety learning topics, videos and quizzes assigned to all field personnel
- 14-panel drug testing performed randomly, upon reasonable suspicion and after accidents
- OSHA 10- and 30-hour training sessions provided by OSHA-authorized safety representatives (available to employees nationwide)
- Semi-annual employee driving record checks
- Corporate safety policy hosted on company intranet
- Employee safety suggestion system
- Incident and accident investigation
- Quarterly safety committee meetings
- Safety modules in employee reviews
- Veriforce and Safeland certification of field personnel for oil and gas projects