FRENCH LICK RESORT-REDESIGN OF HISTORIC LANDMARK
French Lick, Indiana
From the late 1800s until the early 1900s, French Lick Springs and West Baden Springs Hotels drew wealthy tourists and their families to the rural Indiana countryside for a vacation and to seek the healing effects of Pluto Water, bubbling up from natural sulfur springs.
In 2005, Indiana-based Cook Group undertook a $560 million revitalization of French Lick Resort, which includes the historic landmark West Baden Springs Hotel, the French Lick Casino, restoration of one golf course and the opening of another course.
As the historic revitalization project progressed, Woolpert provided a variety of services for each of the locations, including;
- West Baden Springs Hotel-parking lot design, pool upgrades, landscaping, Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) compliance
- French Lick Resort-pavement replacement, Pluto Water pump house restoration, railroad improvements and Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) compliance, civil and landscape design for new pool patio and outdoor event center
- French Lick Casino-earthwork, lighting, traffic engineering, flood study, utility design and parking garage engineering
- Pete Dye Golf Course-surveying layout, cart path design, earthwork and drainage work
- Donald Ross Hill Golf Course-landscape and cart path design, realign tees and holes to original location and improved drainage for the 100-year-old course